Choices are key to developing the young inquisitive mind. School-age children benefit fully from the boundless activities provided in the program through “Shift Change”. “Shift Change” allow our school-age children to switch activities every half hour to another activity of their choosing, giving them the opportunity to exercise initiative and independence.
Everyday after snack, the Activity Centre is bursting with children’s enthusiasm as they plan ahead. Children indicate their choice by placing their Name Button under one of four areas on the Activity Board:
• Picasso – art, science, sensory & cooking
• Shakespeare – drama & music
• Construction/Games – building & cooperative games
• Sports – individual and team sports & games
A mandatory ½ hour outdoor play is required of all children.
This decision making process requires the child to organize, coordinate and negotiate with their peers and, with the staff’s guidance, learn self-regulating skills. It teaches them how to be fair and how to manage their time well, all within the constraint of ½ hour “shifts”. They have the choice to play independently or in groups, where they work at building their self-confidence and learn to appreciate each other’s contributions.
How does learning happen? By allowing the children to pursue their interests and passions in the different Activity Areas. Children’s input is encouraged. Their ideas and interests, in conjunction with staff observation of the children, form the basis of the Weekly Program Plan. In planning these activities Staff will set developmental goals (social, emotional, cognitive, physical and language) in the Weekly Plan.
Thanksgiving, Christmas and Boxing Day, New Year's Day, Family Day, Good Friday, Easter Monday, and Victoria Day
• Tidy up and prepare for school
• Leave for school
• Children are at school
• On P.A. Days, Winter & March Break, extra activities are planned.
• Daily schedule and program will be posted for these days.
• School age children must bring their own packed lunch labeled with their name.
• Pick up children from school
• Take attendance & serve snacks
• Children select activities
• Children engage in chosen activities in 30 minute rotations
Tidy up and quiet play
In the School-age program, there are lots of activities that children can choose from. Click on the activity areas to see some of the activities that we have offered.
“ Whatever you choose, just build your way through! ”
“ Toys Galore… and so much more!! “
“ Fitness is key, just participate and see! “
“ Acting or dance …just come take a chance (or glance). “
“ Whatever you choose, you just can’t lose! “